Founder and Managing Partner of The Cult Branding Company, Bolivar J. "BJ" Bueno's, new book, "CUSTOMERS FIRST: Dominate Your Market by Winning Them Over Where It Counts the Most" examines and illuminates the strategic competitive advantage that comes from a complete, comprehensive understanding of a brand's best customers.
Here is some insight from the book on how do you create and establish a successful brand that brings loyal, profitable customers to your door:
- Build your business around your best customers instead of trying to aimlessly drive sales. Over time, your return on marketing and innovation efforts will rise. Apple is masterful at creating products especially for customers who love style, creativity, and simplicity.
- Listen to what your best customers are telling you. Don't be a transaction-making machine. Be a real person and build a business to serve real people. This is the key to cultivating customer loyalty. Southwest Airlines isn't just another airline to its loyal customers who perceive Southwest as the "heart of the sky."
- Focus on what your brand does best. If you try to be all things to all people you'll end up being nothing to everyone. Be bold. Be unique. Differentiate your brand around your strengths. Ritz Carlton is a hotel of ladies and gentleman serving ladies and gentleman.
- Understand what makes your customers tick. Learn how they think, feel, and behave towards your brand. This isn't easy, but if you can decode these drivers, you'll be better positioned to create long-term customers. Talk to your customers. Read their comments about you and your products on the web. Read blog posts related to your brand. Most of all, truly listen to what your customers are saying.
- Identify your customers' drivers of choice. Why are your current customers buying from you instead of your competitors? Knowing the answer to this question can define the future of your enterprise. Understanding drivers of choice isn't easy because you need to decode the conscious and unconscious motivators influencing your customers' buying decisions. Oprah customers love HAVING HOPE, EMPOWERMENT and the POSSIBILITY of a better tomorrow.
- Be relentless in serving your best customers better than anyone else. Give them plenty of reasons to stay with you and no reasons to leave. Push your business to continually find ways to make your customers' lives easier and better. Brands like Amazon.com and Netflix are constantly finding ways to enhance the customer experience by refining algorithms to recommend products and movies the customer will enjoy.
- Find ways to wow and surprise your best customers. Do something extraordinary and unexpected for them. Instead of playing with "word-of-mouth marketing" programs, focus on better serving your customers and word of mouth will happen naturally. Online retailer Zappos is masterful at producing the wow factor by providing free, surprise upgrades to overnight delivery, random gifts, and hand-written notes to their customers.
- Determine what your brand stands for and deliver on your promise. You must become relentless in your dedication to deliver on your brand promise each and every day. Harley-Davidson customers love the freedom of the open road and the brand promises that freedom. Always keep your best customers in mind and keep your END VISION IN SIGHT.
- Build a brand model that identifies the psychological motivators, key characteristics, and emotional connections your customers have with you. An effective brand model will describe your customers' mindsets, attitudes, and behaviors toward your brand. Every successful brand has some form of a brand model. Major brands go through formal processes to construct their brand models.
- Use your brand model to make all business decisions. An effective brand model accurately predicts customer behavior because the model takes into account the psychological drivers of your customers. If your new ad doesn't hit on what's important to your customers, don't run it. If you're innovating in a direction that isn't relevant to your brand lovers, change directions. An effective brand model removes the guesswork in building a magnetic brand that attracts more loyal customers.
You can order a copy of CUSTOMERS FIRST, here.