HOUSE PORN: The Philip Johnson Glass House, Now Open for Tours

The Philip Johnson Glass House was completed in 1949. It was a radical departure from houses of the time with its exterior walls made of glass and no interior walls.

Johnson was one of the most preeminent modernist architects of his time—In 1930, he founded the Department of Architecture and Design at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, and was awarded an American Institute of Architects Gold Medal and the first Pritzker Architecture Prize in 1979.

The Glass House property is now part of a 47-acre campus managed by The National Trust for Historic Preservation as a catalyst for the preservation and interpretation of modern architecture, landscape, and art; and as a canvas for inspiration and experimentation honoring the legacy of Philip Johnson (1906-2005) and his partner David Whitney (1939-2005). Johnson died in his sleep while at the Glass House retreat at age 98.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation opens it to the public from May 2 to November 30, 2013. It is an amazing opportunity to see inside this architectural masterpiece. The Glass House includes the Brick House/Guest House, Pond Pavilion, Painting Gallery, Sculpture Gallery, Ghost House, Library/Study, and DaMonsta—and the methodical sculpting of the surrounding forty-acre landscape. You can buy tour tickets here.

blog comments powered by Disqus

The Featured Five